Friday, April 3, 2009

Maratona di Roma


The day of the marathon was a very memorable and exciting day! An early rise, and a quick breakfast, and before I knew it we were waiting for the Metro.It was packed with runners, and when I entered I was fascinated by the instant fraternity present amongst us. Anyone who has ever run track or cross country can relate. It's pretty special.

Over 12,000 runners, 26.2 miles, through one of the most historically rich and beautiful cities in the world. Not much more needs to be said. The route began at the Colosseum, and took us south out of the city, before returning. We then ran past St. Peter's Basilica, The Olympic Stadium, Piazza Navona, the Spanish Steps, the Trevi Fountain, and Circus Maximus, all before returning to the Colosseum for the finish.

This was my first marathon and so I wasn't sure how my body would take to the challenge, but by the grace of God I was able to do it. I found alot of strength in the support of all who were cheering throughout the race. Especially memorable were the points at which members of our house were cheering for me. It was a great boost! At two points a couple of them even ran with me. This support was such a blessing.

Now that the race has come and gone, I'm left with many memories that any runner would cherish, as well as more free time that was previously consumed by training. I'm glad I ran the race, and am also grateful to God, for the strength to complete it.

Blessings to each of you as we near Holy Week, and may you have a joy filled Easter!

2 comments:

  1. again we r soooooooooo proud of u !!!!!!!!!! keep up the good wrk. we enjoy reading your pheonomanal stories! what an experience and memories you will have.
    love,aunt JUDI & uncle DAVE
    happy easter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ryan,

    I am so in awe of your experiences and of your writing ability! I love the description and explanation of the places you've visited. I, too, would like to visit Assisi; many people tell me that it is almost more wonderful than Rome. You are truly in a holy and historically magnificent place. Do you know the song "Holy Ground"? Your blog places that song in my head and on my heart. I decided to try writing after I read all of your blogs, I am happy for you and I can hear how God is blessing you. Be present to each and every moment for God is in the now, the present moment. I can tell that as you look around, you can find him with all of your senses. Blessings,Ryan--
    Miss Schwandt

    ReplyDelete