Friday, February 27, 2009

Slow & Steady


Although Italian culture moves at a much slower pace than America, it has taken these first few weeks for me to finally feel as though I have caught up with it. A new language, a new city to find my bearings in, new modes of transportation, a new meal schedule, and a new way of learning. One might collectively call this adjustment culture shock, though I’d say it’s been more of a gradual transition. Finally I feel as though my feet are firmly planted, and hopefully this means my next journal entry won’t be delayed for another two and a half weeks as this one is!
The language I feel I know enough to get by around the city. Living in community with other American students means that I don’t necessarily need to become fluent in Italian, a task that would take far more than a semester to do anyway.
As for the layout of the city, I feel I have a good grasp for where the major landmarks are. Walking nearly everywhere is the Italian way, and has helped me to find my way around in no time.
The meal schedule has been an adjustment as well. A typical diet consists of a pastry and coffee for breakfast around 7am, lunch as the main meal of the day around 1pm, and then dinner around 8pm. If you go to a restaurant for dinner before this time, chances are it will be completely empty.
The final adjustment has been in the classroom. In the states your grade is measured based on several exams and assignments over the course of the semester. Here, you listen to the professor lecture and are assessed based on one 10 minute conversation with the professor at the end of the term. In the end it comes down to self motivation in studies so as not to fall behind over the course of the semester.
For length’s sake, I will end here. In my next entry, I’ll share a few of the things I’ve been able to do in these first weeks. I hope your Lenten Season has had a blessed beginning, and I pray it will continue up until the celebration of Christ’s resurrection at Easter.

3 comments:

  1. we are very proud of you! it sounds like you are very well organized and know what you want in your life. it's too bad people in general don't take a step back and realize what life is all about and be thankful for who they are and what they have in life. take care, love, aunt judi & uncle dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good to hear from you. And I'm glad that you are doing good. Take care of yourself and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Breakfast sounds good. Do Italians know how to make coffee?

    ReplyDelete